For those who do not know it yet, WordPress is a software application that allows the creation and management of websites . It is a free software and open source project, which means that its code is created and maintained by a community of thousands of volunteer developers (which guarantees its continuity) and that you can have the application completely free of charge.
The popularity of this type of CMS (Content Management System) applications is motivated by their ease of creating websites and their contents in a simple and visual way , without the need for too much programming knowledge.
Advantages of using WordPress
That WordPress is the largest CMS in the world, with more than 20% of the most trafficked websites on the planet , is no accident. So what makes WordPress the leader in web design?
- When working in WordPress we have a multitude of templates or “themes” that allow us to have attractive designs. In turn, these templates are customizable, so that we can adapt them to the image of our business with much less graphic design work than if it were a development from scratch.
- One of the great advantages of WordPress as a content manager is the use of plugins, programs that are installed in order to expand the functionality of the templates. Thanks to them you can turn your website into an online store or know statistical data and web positioning. Also, the many of them are free.
- WordPress uses a very intuitive interface and can be managed by the client without the need for computer or programming knowledge.
- Being a platform in which a wide community of developers collaborates, the updates for improvements in its operation are continuous.
- The possibility of starting from a predefined design, including the texts visually and expanding its functionality with the simple installation of plugins, makes it the fastest and most economical option.
Disadvantages of using WordPress
Everything we’ve seen before makes it clear why so many people choose this option, but wait, because all that glitters is not gold.
WordPress has some limitations that you should know to know what setbacks you may face if you decide to use it:
- Limited customization: the use of preset templates causes the final results to be not completely original. If you want something unique and differentiating, it will be necessary to edit the template code, which can be a complicated task that will increase the budget.
- For websites that need very specific and personalized solutions or functionalities, WordPress can be an obstacle, since there are no such plugins on the market.
- Some templates and plugins require a high consumption of resources and are very heavy, so they negatively affect the loading speed of the website, in some cases damaging the SEO positioning.
Custom Web Development
A custom web design is one that is created from scratch exclusively for a certain company , with each feature and functionality thought directly in it. For this, it is necessary to fully understand the needs and concerns of the client, so that the programming process includes the functions previously established. Thus, the final result will be exactly the one demanded by the user , with a maximum level of personalization and originality.
Advantages of custom development
- At the level of positioning and brand recognition, it is the best option, since we will have a completely adapted design, in which the user experience is taken care of as much as possible.
- A website designed solely for you will include only what you need. The use of CMS and plugins causes your website to have a large number of elements and functions that you do not need.
- In relation to the previous point, custom development will allow you to have a much lighter website, which will ultimately translate into a much higher loading speed. This is one of the most important characteristics currently for the Google algorithm when positioning a web.
- It is possible to manage all the content, adapting, updating and modifying each section in which a change is necessary. The website is owned by the owner and its control does not depend on factors beyond him.
- Scalability: the custom design is designed so that it can grow, be adjusted and permanently improved in each of its areas without having to make a new design. The possibilities are almost unlimited.
Disadvantages of custom development
Knowing a little about the characteristics and advantages of custom web development, it is easy to guess where the “buts” will come from this type of web projects:
- First of all, they are much more expensive. For a design from scratch, several programmers and designers dedicated to building the web will be necessary. In addition, it is very likely that a maintenance contract will be needed to preserve the perfect operation and update of the project.
- More execution time: no matter how much money you have, these types of designs require time to conceptualize and implement.
- When it comes to making changes on the web, not just anyone can do it, since now it is not about changing the text or an image in a content manager with a simple interface. You will have to touch the code of the web and if you do not know what you are doing, it can have disastrous results.