The insurance policy of your car is the document that contains the agreement signed with an insurance company and in which the obligations and rights of the insurance company and the insured are established. Also where the people or objects that are insured are described and the guarantees and compensation in the event of an accident are established.
The car insurance policy is also the documentation that the company sends us once we have contracted the insurance and that we keep in the glove compartment without hardly reading, and believing that with that we are insurers for any contingency that occurs in our vehicle. Error: you have to lose your fear of all that documentation, because it may happen that aspects that we take for granted are not reflected and that later give rise to unpleasant surprises.
Below we review everything you need to know about your car insurance policy.
Everything that will be explained below must appear in the folder that the company that insures our vehicle gives us. Otherwise, you must claim it from your insurance company, which is obliged to give it to you.
There are of two types:
- Particular Insurance Conditions. These sheets will include all the coverages that we have contracted in particular ( travel assistance, civil liability, windows, etc.), and our name, address, age, details of the insured vehicle, etc. The companies have “standard” policies that are prepared for those who want to contract them, but each client wants different coverage, since the risks that each one wants to insure will vary depending on their preferences.
These papers will therefore be where it is “particularized” with the coverage that each one wants to contract, with the vehicle that is going to be insured and with the data of the driver who is going to take it.
Here we will not find all the information on the coverage, although it is very important to know the main aspects that we are going to have contracted and who the insured is, the non-standard accessories that are or are not included, the amount with which we would be compensated in case something happened to us, etc.
- General Insurance Conditions . It is easy to identify since it is the largest document, a small book that if we open it, we will see that it is full of articles and phrases that sound like that of “The contracting party of the first part will be considered as the contracting party of the first part ”of the great Groucho Marx.
Although its “translation” costs us, this is where everything we are entitled to and what we are not entitled to is stipulated here. This is what we call “The Fine Print.”
Probably 99% of users do not read this documentation, and we find that when we want to take out insurance, we ask prices in several companies and in the end we choose the cheapest one, believing that we have the same coverage as the one in which it is purchased. offers more expensive, which we believe that scams us by offering much more expensive prices for, apparently, the same coverage.
Then comes the moment of truth, and we see that we have made a serious mistake, we have overlooked the small print of the companies, which is the cause of the price differences between the different offers. Our goal is precisely that, to be able to provide the user with all the fine print comparing it between the different companies.
European accident report
This document is easy to find. It will be stipulated as a “Friendly declaration of a car accident”, and in it we can find a grid divided into two columns, in which, in the event of an accident with another identified vehicle, we will have to fill in our data and those of the third party, indicate the damages produced and make a sketch of the position of the vehicles at the moment of the hit.
This paper will only be necessary in the event of a claim with a third party, so you should always have at least one on hand.
All parts are identical regardless of the company that gave it to us.
Keep these tips in mind to fill out an accident report :
- You must fill in all the sections of the document.
- The description of what has happened will be made in the sketch.
- The signature of those involved will be required.
- It should not be modified, under any circumstances, once signed.
- It will be given to the company and we will keep a copy.
Travel assistance phone
Normally this telephone number is included at the end of the General Conditions of the policy. However, a small card will also be included, where the number will be included. It is usually a toll-free number.
It will be used for when we are immobilized when the car breaks down or we have an accident.
Tip: It is convenient to have this updated phone number, it may happen that the insurance company has changed it. In the same way, it is convenient to know if this telephone is valid if we call outside of Spain, or if it is a different one. In the latter case, it should be noted as well.
After having identified the minimum documents that have been delivered to us, we can find that there are even more things left, such as:
- Road map
- Addresses of the insurer’s offices throughout Spain
- A series of concerted workshops where to go in the event of a claim.
- Company statutes.
- Statute of the Defender of the insured.
These documents are merely informative and not all insurers include them.